Saturday, May 9, 2009

Shrimp and Grits

For many years, I have had a very negative attitude toward grits. Being from CA, I had never tried grits until I was in my 20s. While I was an RD at Westmont, I went to a conference in Tennessee and that is where I had my first grits experience. We went to the Waffle House, and I thought "well, when in Rome do as the Romans do," so I ordered grits. Two words describe that first experience - "wet sand." That is what they tasted like to me. A few years later, I married a Southern boy and made it very clear to him that I HATED grits. When he found out that I had eaten them at the Waffle House, he laughed and told me that I had not really tried true grits. A couple of months ago while visiting Nelson's family, I decided to try grits again. Eunice, Nelson's mom, made me the most delicious grits. Thus, I have changed my attitude toward grits and decided to make shrimp and grits last night. I must say I was quite proud of myself. They turned out so yummy. So, here are pictures of our meal and random pics of Bekah Boo.



Bekah and I have started a tradition now that the weather is so warm and wonderful. On weeknights, we sit out on the lawn under the tree in our front yard and wait for Nelson to come home. We have enjoyed seeing a bunch of our neighbors too.



Bekah's first experience in the grocery cart. A week ago, we had to switch her from the infant car seat to the larger car seat since she is so tall. I have had to become more creative with my errands. :) I did not realize how convenient it was to transport her bucket seat everywhere until I couldn't anymore.


Nelson built an arbor in our backyard, and we just put a swing on it for Bekah. She loves it!


2 comments:

Heather Estridge said...

Too funny, I ate shrimp and grits last night too. However, mine were pretty plain compared to yours - please email me the seasoning secrets. When we were at Whitworth little did we know one day both marry Southerners and be eating grits ;)

Craig and Bethany said...

Alright, I've NEVER had them. You should post the recipe, I'd give 'em a try! And, I LOVE the dress Bekah is wearing. Where did you get it? She sure is a cutie.