Well, last Sunday, I had a craving for comfort food. I had bought a box of Beignet mix from the Cafe du Monde in New Orleans. I have been there before, and "been-yays" are like a puffed pastry doughnet square with powdered sugar all over them. They are great with coffee. After all the snow and room decorations, I felt like a treat. So, Sunday a week ago I decided to make breakfast for the family. Before I knew it, Karina told Bekah I was making doughnuts.
I am not an expert with a rolling pin; I leave that to Karina who actually is good at it. However, a free breakfast with no work on her part sounded pretty good to 7 months of pregnancy. All she had to do was wrangle Bekah away from the stove, as you fry these things in hot oil. They even tell you exactly how hot to heat the oil (370 F). We don't have an oil thermometer for the stove, so I cooked it "man-style" They came out brown, so that's alright with me.
After she put her tongue back in her mouth, I had to make them. Bekah was very helpful in supervising me. What else says happiness than this kind of smile?
I hope the photos look as good as the beignets tasted. (FYI, these did not come out too well, the ones in New Orleans are lighter and more puffed and taste heavenly. I will have to try again until I get it right. 



No comments:
Post a Comment